Unchallenging Copenhagen Climate Challenge
Posted by Ari Jokimäki on December 10, 2009
Yet another statement signed by N number of mind-numbingly relevant people is being spammed onto climate related blogs and discussions. This one is called Copenhagen Climate Challenge. Here, I will just comment on some of the things in their statement:
Therefore, there is no sound reason to impose expensive and restrictive public policy decisions on the peoples of the Earth without first providing convincing evidence that human activities are causing dangerous climate change beyond that resulting from natural causes.
So you don’t think that the potential risk of worldwide catastrophe to both mankind and the global ecosystem as a whole is not “sound reason”? Do you take fire insurance only after your house has burned down?
Before any precipitate action is taken, we must have solid observational data demonstrating that recent changes in climate differ substantially from changes observed in the past…
Past has nothing to do with it. All we need to know is that it has created a very risky situation now.
We the undersigned, being qualified in climate-related scientific disciplines, challenge the UNFCCC and supporters of the United Nations Climate Change Conference to produce convincing OBSERVATIONAL EVIDENCE for their claims of dangerous human-caused global warming and other changes in climate. Projections of possible future scenarios from unproven computer models of climate are not acceptable substitutes for real world data obtained through unbiased and rigorous scientific investigation.
Ok, here goes:
- Earth’s global temperature has increased, as evidenced by surface measurements (latest 10 year means are shown here) and ocean measurements for example, and indicated by changes in biosphere, melting glaciers and polar ice sheets, rising sea level, and vanishing sea ice, to name a few things.
- We have observed, directly from the atmosphere, how outgoing longwave radiation has decreased in carbon dioxide absorption bands and how downward longwave radiation has increased accordingly.
- Everyone who has studied the subject knows that currently our biggest source of uncertainty is the climate feedbacks, but even there we have direct observations of positive water vapor feedback and the latest research on low-level clouds (where the biggest uncertainty has been) also shows positive feedback.
- Just about all major things are working as expected in greenhouse gas warmed world. For example, stratosphere has been observed cooling, as expected. The scientific research also shows that greenhouse gases have been major factor in past climate changes.
- None of the above is based on climate models, it’s all observational. There also seems to be others who agree with me on this with well written words.
- The biosphere is already reacting badly to the warming, so it’s not something that might happen in the future, it’s already happening.
I ask you this, dear “climate realist scientists”, as most of the information presented above has been available for a long time, how could you have missed this body of evidence?
I forgot to say this:
It is not the responsibility of ‘climate realist’ scientists to prove that dangerous human-caused climate change is not happening.
It is your responsibility. Mainstream climate science has already presented the proof in the scientific literature. Now would be your turn to do the same. I won’t hold my breath for that, though.